Monday, August 11, 2014

DROUGHT DAY AFTERNOON

Another favorite subject to photograph around the grounds of the retirement community in which I live, the outdoor staircases. And, as always, shadows. "Drought Day Afternoon" (8-10-14 034v2) is only one of the several versions I've already made from the original pic. However, it's definitely the one I like the most. Converting to black and white may sound like a simple process. But there are several types of black and white conversions to choose from. And I fooled with brightness and contrast levels within each type to see which ultimate effect I liked the most. For once, cropping was no big deal. The photo only required (at least to my eye) a tiny bit of cropping around the edges. Yeah, I know, just yesterday I was talking about how I can occasionally choose subtle effects. This photo illustrates my usual tendency toward intensity.

BTW, this pic was taken with my wide angle lens camera, which I have not used for some time. I'd taken it out thinking to use it on the super-size full moon later that night, since it has a higher pixel count. But I didn't make it out to try pix of the moon. It's almost always a disappointing process afterwards, if a lot of fun during the doing. I have neither the equipment nor the skills for good moon shots. In any case, I'd forgotten how much clearer pix taken with this camera tend to be in any light.

And another BTW, re: that overgrown grass bush under the stairs. Even in this drought, flora can pop up pretty much overnight. I'll bet it was cut back not long after I'd photographed it. I also have to be quick to try to capture dying rose blossoms and other bedraggled or unruly beauties. Not only the wind takes those away.

NOTE: In most browsers you can click on a photo to view a larger version. There are many more photos posted here than show at any given time in this left-hand column. See the Archives listing (below Previous Posts) in the right hand column. And here’s the link if you wish to read an Introduction, Background, & Technical Aspects post about this blog.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,





[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”) ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home