Wednesday, September 4, 2013

THE GATE ONTO NOWHERE (two versions)

The Gate Onto Nowhere (B.I. folder) is an extremely old photo of mine, taken back in 1986 on my first trip to the beautiful small Block Island off the tip of New York's Long Island. I took maybe a half dozen photos and they came out so poorly I did not take any on subsequent trips to the island, or anywhere else. (BTW, they weren't digital and I don't think I have the prints anymore, just the even poorer scans I did of them into my computer.) On subsequent trips to the island I settled for sketching in pen and ink; something I'd done since childhood. It wasn't until I moved here to California in 2008 that I took any more pictures at all.

I have to admit to yearning for the comfortable solitude I enjoyed hiking around that treasure of an island. Yes, I could hike in those days. Sigh. Anyway, as I re-worked this photo I remembered I'd always thought of it as of "the gate onto nowhere." And I recall that on subsequent trips, the field was never anything but wild and grown over. There was also never a gate actually connecting those stone walls. Its wildness might not have been all that notable, except it was on a main roadway, with carefully cared for fields and houses all around and across the way. I enjoyed its understated impudence.

Here's a second version, in which the wall and gateless gate are clearer though I'm not happy with that sky, it glares a bit:

NOTE: In most browsers you can click on a photo to view a larger version. There are many more photos posted here than show at any given time in this left-hand column. See the Archives listing (below Previous Posts) in the right hand column. And here’s the link if you wish to read an Introduction, Background, & Technical Aspects post about this blog.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,





[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”) ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home