Tuesday, December 23, 2014

ALL ROADS LEAD TO OMPHALOS

Omigosh! I'm still surprised and tickled at this one ("All Roads Lead to Omphalos" 12-23-14 008). First, because it was a total throw away shot. I was sitting out on this balcony this morning that overlooks the pool. The sun was so bright I could barely keep my eyes open, especially with it glaring off the pool surface. When I stood to leave (the sun was getting too hot for my pale skin) I noticed those interesting shadows on the cement. Of course, in such bright light I wasn't going to attempt a pic. Then I remembered all the photographers I've seen shading their lenses with their cupped hands. Hm, what the heck. I've tried shading the object I'm photographing in too bright light, but not my camera lens. At least I'd see if lens shading can work with a compact digital. I couldn't even see my view screen in that light to compose the shot so had to make my best guess, while carefully cupping my hand around the side of the lens hit by the sun. I also had the camera already set on "backlight" which I've found works sometimes in bright day light. Well, it seems the combination of setting and hand shading worked! I'd expected a totally burned out shot and got a better shot than I often get in decent light. And the second surprise? I hadn't noticed that central "belly button" on the cement wall when taking the pic. It sent me into gales of laughter when I saw in on my screen, resulting in the title. This result in bright light may be a fluke, unreplicable. But it was a delightful surprise when it showed on my computer screen today given all the difficulties and disatisfactions I've been running into recently with taking pix.

NOTE: In most browsers you can click on a photo to view a larger version. There are many more photos posted here than show at any given time in this left-hand column. See the Archives listing (below Previous Posts) in the right hand column. And here’s the link if you wish to read an Introduction, Background, & Technical Aspects post about this blog.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,





[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”) ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home