Sunday, January 6, 2019

EVEN THE BROKEN HELP HOLD UP THE SKY


What follows is a re-post -- in total with some tweaks for sense and grammar -- of a post from 2011. Not only is this above pic of mine one of my personal favorites, I'd forgotten about that lovely Modigliani painting I share below. And to be even more honest, at some level I think I really need to hear the message in the title to my own pic, given how broken I've been feeling:

The tree trunk in "Even the Broken Help Hold Up the Sky" above, always makes me think of a dancer with her arms above her head, doing a little shimmy. Here's "Cariatide," the painting of Modigliani's that this photo reminds me of:


Even its name -- Cariatide -- references something I feel about my photo, how that slim tree seems, at least to my eye, to be holding up everything above it into infinity. Caryatids, female figures in ancient architecture, acted as columns or supports.

And what about those fabulous shadow stripes in my pic. Those put me in mind of an escalator, which could be going in either direction. Traversing the space that the Caryatid keeps open.

Lastly, there's a very old dream in which I'd seen a broken Telamon -- a male support figure in architecture. The dream poem I wrote about it back then includes this line: even the broken help hold up the sky.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,




[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home