Friday, June 14, 2013

Hibiscus, as a friend recently commented, would make a nice design for wrapping paper. I agree. Nothing special, just nice. And that comment reminds me of something that's been sneaking back in to my approach to any of my creative efforts, what another long ago friend used to call the "masterpiece complex." I.e., that everything one does must be up there with the classics or be useless. I say "Pah!" to that old burr in my side. I really know my limits (though that doesn't keep me from trying to stretch them) but primarily and ultimately what matters most to me is the process. This inner space in which I attempt to bring something out that's been calling to me. So I'll keep reminding myself to leave masterworks to the masters, and follow my own star, however bland or oddly forged the results may seem. Checking in with the world and it's aesthetics along the way, but not letting them run the show.

Hibiscus, Too is the above photo color inverted, then re-colored. I'm rarely able to get a green that isn't totally neon, so was happy when I got to this:


And Woodcut was fun for the same reason as "Hibiscus, Too," I can rarely get nice brown shades. Though overall I like this version of the three the least, I do think the little details show up best here:


NOTE: In most browsers you can click on a photo to view a larger version. There are many more photos posted here than show at any given time in this left-hand column. See the Archives listing (below Previous Posts) in the right hand column. And here’s the link if you wish to read an Introduction, Background, & Technical Aspects post about this blog.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,





[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”) ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home