Saturday, September 24, 2011

AFTER GEORGIA O'KEEFE


Haven't mentioned that July exhibit of mine recently. "After Georgia O'Keefe" is one that was displayed on a wall (as opposed to in one of my ersatz portfolios). It's probably my single most popular photo. That's not saying a whole lot actually, but it is the truth and I enjoy typing it. :-D It is also a fairly old photo and seems to resist any further tinkering, which is somewhat unusual for me these days.

This pic was brought to mind by a painter whose website a friend just told me about: Dorothy Churchill-Johnson. (A link is also under LINKS in this blog sidebar.) My friend said the work has been compared to Georgia O'Keefe meeting Salvador Dali (and I'd agree). I highly recommend visiting the website. Churchill-Johnson's paintings are nothing short of amazing. The actual paintings are on a scale that boggles my mind, and I'm further stunned by the skill and vision involved. At the same time, I was very surprised to see that much of her focus is on revealing close ups (see her Giant Botanicals category) which is similar to what I've been attempting more and more in my photos.

In addition, Churchill-Johnson starts her Artsist's Statement by saying she calls her paintings "visual haiku" and she feels that "focusing lavish attention on the mundane often elevates it to the sublime. Objects become complex in proportion to the attention one pays them." Yes, and yes again! I write a great deal of haiku, tanka, and monoku, and have developed a form called dreamku for writing about our night dreams. And I pair my photos with these small poems, somewhat in the fashion of haiga and taiga -- illustrated haiku and tanka. So I resonate deeply with this haiku connection.

But all this identification of mine aside, do give yourself a wonderful treat and take some time to thoroughly enjoy Churchill-Johnson's visions.

NOTE: In most browsers you can click on a photo to view a larger version. And here’s the link if you wish to read an Introduction, Background, & Technical Aspects post about this blog.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,





[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home