Thursday, January 12, 2012

THE SPINE OF THE NIGHT, NUCLEUS, & AT GALAXY'S EDGE

All three of the photos today were reclaimed from my "needs editing" folder where they'd been languishing for about a year and a half. My last resort with a picture I sort of like that just isn't working no matter how I fiddle with it, is to try making an abstract out of it. All of these today got that last minute reprieve before the trash can. You may notice I also indulged my love of a particular family of colors. :-)


"The Spine of the Night" above was taken in that stand of cannas I so like photographing. The original was much larger in scope and way too visually busy and messy. So I just kept isolating various small sections of it until I hit on shapes I really liked; then had great fun changing the colors.



The above "Nucleus" is the center of a wide open dying lavender rose. I have another photo I took that shows the entire flattened rose, so didn't need this second one. That made me feel even freer to fool around with it to my heart's content. (Yes, I always have the original I can revert to, but I have made an occasional mistake and irretrievably altered an original. Which means that possibility is always in the back of my mind when I mess extensively with a photo.)



And this last, "At Galaxy's Edge," was the only very small section of a larger garden photo that wound up being interesting at all. I liked that ruffly effect and knew before I even began fooling with it that it put me in mind of galaxies and such. And at least to me, it now looks a bit like a painting. Decades back when I was painting in oils I sometimes enjoyed layering the paint on, creating texture. This photo reminds me of that effect.

Sigh, now that I've had a surfeit of picture editing and this post is drafted and up, how will I save my sanity today? No joke. First and foremost, beyond what any of my photos (or poems or any other creative attempt) may or may not offer a viewer, is how entering that creative, questioning, exploratory state of consciousness keeps me sane. If only for the time I'm in it.

NOTE: In most browsers you can click on a photo to view a larger version. And here’s the link if you wish to read an Introduction, Background, & Technical Aspects post about this blog.

* * * *
‘til next take, may you enjoy life in the ever changing light,





[aka: Patricia Kelly] **** If you wish to copy or use any of my writing or photos, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”) ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home